Easy Lahmacun Recipe (Turkish Pizza), Lahmajoun
Turkey is one of the countries famous for its food. One of the delicious ones is Lahmacun(Lahmajoun) or Turkish Pizza which is made of bread, meat and some vegetables.
There are different toppings for this food and one of the popular ones is introduced. You can order this food in a restaurant or cook it at home.
History of Lahmacun
Lahmacun (or Lahmajoun) is originally a Turkish word which is derived from Arabic and is also known in Armenia.
From long years ago, people living in the Middle East cooked flatbread on metal frying pans. This type of bread was used to wrap bread and vegetables inside.
Years later, different ovens and dishes were made which let people mix a variety of ingredients including meat and vegetables on dough to be cooked as a kind of food.
This food which was called Lahmacun was well-known in the eastern part of Turkey and after that in 1960 all people around the country knew it. Then this food was also served in Armenia, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq.
Some people believe that Lahmacun is a mixture of some cultures; northern Syria and Arab speaking part of southern Turkey from Adana to Mardin.
Therefore, that is the reason for its Arabic name while this food is well-known among Turkish and Armenian people. As meat and bread were popular in the medieval age in these three cultures, its origin is combined.
Lahmacun is a famous Turkish fast food from Sanliurfa, a city in the eastern part of Turkey. People in this city ate this food with hot pepper.
As this food was very hot for people who lived in the West of Turkey, they could not eat this food.
As a result, this food served in restaurants in two forms; with pepper and without pepper. If you go to a Turkish restaurant and like to order this food, you can order it without pepper; and then you can add red pepper flakes depending on your taste.
This food is usually baked on thin bread to be crispy. In Mersin, a city in the south of Turkey, there is another version of this food called Findik (=hazelnut) Lahmacun.
It is not thin and crispy. Also, its size is as small as a saucer and it can be eaten even the day after it is cooked because it is not tough and dry.
People who live in Mersin and near towns have some bakeries to cook this food in their stone ovens.
Women usually prepare the toppings at home then their husband takes the ingredients to bakery and asks the baker to cook Lahmacun.
When it is cooked, the man pays the money and gives some pieces to people in the line of bakery.
It is surely the easiest way to cook this food but some people prefer to prepare the dough and bake it at their homes.
Apart from ordering this food in a restaurant, or baking it in a bakery, or cooking it at home; this food is worthy to try.
One of the famous street foods in Turkey is Lahmacun which has thinner dough than a pizza and it does not have cheese as a topping.
You can fold or roll it before eating. This Turkish pizza can be bought from different restaurants, fast food stores and cafes in this country.
Also, it can be home-made food which has a tasty and spicy taste. If you are interested to cook this delicious food easily at home, you can also buy a package of pizza dough in order to spend time making its dough by flour.
Here are the required ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
• For making the dough
o 2 cups of flour
o 1 teaspoon yeast
o 1 and half teaspoon salt
o 1 cup warm water
o 1 tablespoon olive oil
• For making the topping
o 350 grams minced meat
o 1 grated yellow onion
o 4 grated cloves of garlic
o 1 cup chopped parsley
o 2 grated ripe tomatoes
o Half of a bell pepper (grated)
o 1 tablespoon red pepper paste
o 1 tablespoon tomato paste
o 1 teaspoon paprika
o 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
o 1 teaspoon salt
o Half of teaspoon black pepper
o 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
• For garnishing
o Lemon wedges
o Sprigs of Italian parsley
o Sliced red onion mixed with sumac
o Sliced tomato
Recipe of Lahmacun
Although this Turkish pizza, Lahmacun, is a traditional food, a lot of people like to cook it.
Its recipe is very easy and you can simply make it ready:
• Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl
• Stir olive oil and warm water in a small bowl
• Make a hole in the middle of flour
• Add oil and water to it
• Mix all these ingredients
• Knead the dough for about 15 minutes to be soft
• Cover the dough with a towel
• Put it in a warm place for 45 minutes to be risen
• Mix all topping ingredients with each other in a large bowl
• Put the dough on a floured surface and cut in into 6 pieces
• Roll out each piece to a very thin part
• Heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
• Preheat an oven tray
• Put toppings on each piece of thin bread
• Put them on the tray to be cooked in the oven for 30 minutes
• Serve them with garnish ingredients based on your taste
This food is really easy to cook, especially when you do not need to make the dough yourself. Generally, it takes about 60 minutes to prepare the ingredients, including dough, and 30 minutes to cook it.
Tips to Improve the Taste
There are some tips which are suggested by professional chefs to have a more delicious Lahmacun:
• When there are more people in your party and your dough is not enough, double the meat and cut the pieces of pizza into smaller ones.
• Squeeze a little lemon on the food or use tahini sauce to make a special difference on the food. Also, you can add red onion, radish and mint leave on it.
• If you do not have an oven, you can cook this food on stovetop. The only thing you should do is to preheat the frying pan and then rub olive oil on the pan. You can cook each piece of bread with its toppings.
• You can have your own spice collection; such as smoked paprika, allspice, cumin, Aleppo-style pepper and whatever you like to add a better taste to your food.
You can cook this easy made food whenever you are hungry and you crave for something delicious and spicy.