Tourist Cities in Turkey
Tourist Cities in Turkey : If you want to spend your holiday in a great location with nice weather and various things to do, you have to think about Turkey.
This country has a lot of natural and historical places to visit which can make your holiday memorable. Top ten tourist cities in Turkey will be introduced.
Introduction of Tourist Cities in Turkey
Turkey is a country located in a place to connect two big continents of Asia and Europe. Its neighboring countries are Iran, Iraq, Syria, Armenia, Georgia, Bulgaria and Greece.
In addition, this country is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea, Aegean Sea, Sea of Marmara, and Black Sea.
This country attracts a lot of tourists every year because of its good geographical location, fabulous tourist destinations, and prosperous culture.
Istanbul – Where to Visit
Istanbul, as one of the tourist cities in Turkey, is the most populated city in this country.
Its architecture is the symbol of Byzantine and Ottoman Eras and a variety of buildings are made during different eras which show its fruitful culture.
As a Metropolitan city and one of the tourist cities in Turkey, Istanbul is open to different people from all nationalities around the world.
There are a lot of places which can be seen in Istanbul :
• Aya Sofya (Hagia Sophia): a cherish landmark in Istanbul which has changed from a church to a mosque and a museum.
• Topkapi Palace (Topkapi Sarayi): located near the Bosphorus and it is consisted of Harem, Second Court, Palace Kitchens, Imperial Council Chamber and the Third Court.
• Blue Mosque (Sultan Ahmet Camii): it is situated near Aya Sofya and Arasta Bazaar with six minarets and blue interior design.
• Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sanici): it is a very big underground hall similar to a palace with 12 rows and 336 columns.
• Grand Bazaar (Kapali Carsi): it is located between Beyazit Mosque and Nure Osmaniye Mosque which has 11 entrance gates. A variety of products can be found in this covered market in one of the tourist cities in Turkey.
• Galata Tower: it is a very high tower built in the 14th century. It is possible to take the elevator or stairs in order to see the city from the top.
Istanbul – What to Do
The number of places which should be visited in Istanbul, as one of the tourist cities in Turkey, is not limited to the above mentioned ones because it is possible to visit some other places such as; Hippodrome, Archaeology Museum, Suleymaniye Mosque, Spice Bazaar, Dolmabahce Palace and a lot of other mosques, museums and palaces. You can stay in luxury, mid-range or budget hotels based on the number nights, location and your budget.
If you visit Istanbul, remember to go sightseeing the city, see different aspects of its culture, and spend time by the sea.
Cappadocia; One of the Tourist Cities in Turkey
Cappadocia as one of the tourist cities in Turkey is located in the volcanic rocks from the Bronze Age.
There are a lot of places which can be visited in this fantasy region:
• Go to a specified place in this area to try hot air ballooning in an early morning to see the city from the top and enjoy the nice color of sky.
• Kaymakli Underground City: it is a city in eight floors connected by tunnels which is now a fabulous tourist attraction.
There are also a lot of other underground cities in Cappadocia as one of the tourist cities in Turkey.
• Red and Rose Valleys: a place with a mixture of yellow, orange, and pink which are made because of volcanic explosion and wind erosion.
There are some walking roads which can be suitable for those who want to enjoy the nature.
• Pasabag Valley: a place with some rocks similar to mushrooms which were previously considered as a place to pray.
One of the other tourist cities in Turkey is Pamukkale which is a mountain full of white travertine in circular shapes.
This city as one of the tourist cities in Turkey has two sides of natural and historical tourist attractions. Some of its places to visit are listed below :
• Travertine: calcium deposits remained from hot springs make such a white scene as cotton castle. It is the best idea to walk here without shoes or sit in the pools of water.
• Hierapolis City Ruins: it was a fortified military colony which was destroyed by an earthquake.
• Pamukkale Antique Pool: it is a great place for relaxation in mineral water of hot springs.
Antalya; One of the Tourist Cities in Turkey
Antalya, as one of the tourist cities in Turkey, has two aspects of natural and historical tourist attractions.
You can visit old and traditional parts of this city as one of the tourist cities in Turkey and then enjoy its great beaches. Some places which should be visited in Antalya are :
• Old Town (Kaleici): it is a city with buildings in red roofs in stone-like streets. There are a main square, Tekeli Mehmet Pasa Mosque and Kesik Minare as its tourist attractions.
• Yivil Minare: it is a sample of architecture in Seljuk Era. The Clock Tower is also located behind it.
• Perge: it is a stadium in a rubble-filled form with a destroyed temple. It also has Roman baths, Acropolis and Hellenistic Gate.
• Konyaalti Beach: it is a place surrounded by sea and mountains which is a great place for swimming and sunbathing.
• Karst Springs: there are a lot of places such as Kirkgoz, Pinarbasi, and Dudenbasi with waterfalls, sinkholes and karst springs which attracts the attention of tourists.
• Karain Cave: a cave which shows some information about life of prehistoric man based on the bones and teeth which were found. It is located near a museum and some karst springs.
• Koprulu Canyon National Park: it is a great place for white water rafting among high cliffs in the river of Koprulu.
Tourist cities in Turkey are not limited and one of the other ones is Bodrum.
This city is famous for its turquoise coast which attracts a lot of tourists from various countries around the world to have fun and go sailing or do water sports in the Mediterranean Sea to make this place one of the tourist cities in Turkey.
Some other places which can be visited in this city are :
• Castle of St. Peter: it has some towers in each side to protect the building. It has Museum of Underwater Archaeology and a mosque inside to get the attention of visitors who travel to this city.
• Mausoleum: this fabulous building which was one of the seven ancient wonders is now changed to a ruin. It had a tower with a height of 46 meters which is now surrounded by a green garden.
• Bodrum’s Ancient Theater: it was built by Roman standards, then it is revived and now it is used for holding various events or concerts in the summer.
• Myndos Gate (Myndos Kapisi): it was a part of fortress walls around the city during King Mausolus Era.
There are some ruins of tombs and buildings which worth visiting for every person in Bodrum as one of the tourist cities in Turkey.
Izmir; One of the Tourist Cities in Turkey
Izmir is a metropolitan city and the third crowded city of Turkey. It has long, dry and hot summers but its winters are mild to cool and rainy.
It is one of the tourist cities in Turkey because of some places :
• Mount. Yamanlar: it is a place where tomb of Tantalus is excavated there.
• Agora Open Air Museum: it is a place to protect Agora of Smyrna which has some destroyed parts because of the modern construction.
• Ancient Theater of Smyrna: it is a place where St. Polycarp was buried. There is also a traditional castle which is important in Izmir.
• Clock Tower: it is made of marble by a French architect in a structure of four fountains near the base.
• Castles of Izmir: similar to tourist cities in Turkey, Izmir has some castles and the most important ones were Kadifekale, Sancakkale, and the Ok Kalesi.
• Synagogues: there are nine of them in this city which were made to focus on the Jewish quarter of Karats.
• Bird Paradise: it is an 80 square kilometers place to protect a variety of bird species.
Goreme is one of the tourist cities in Turkey which is selected as one of the most enthralling locations in the world.
Its special structure which is half situated into a hill with its stone houses makes a fabulous view makes it famous as one of the tourist cities in Turkey.
Numerous tourist attractions are located in this city:
• Some churches: Sakli Kilise (Hidden Church) and El Nazar Kilise (Evil Eye Church) are situated in this amazing city.
• Trailing path: people who like walking can see rock buildings similar to a chimney and enjoy the beauty of nature.
• Open-Air Museum: this place is conserved by the UNESCO and dates back to the 10th century. It has the following places:
o Azize Barbara Sapeli (Chapel of St. Barbara)
o Elmali Kilise (Apple Church)
o Karanlik Kilise (Dark Church)
o Yilanli Kilise (Snake Church)
o Tokali Kilise (Buckle Church)
Kusadasi; One of the Tourist Cities in Turkey
Kusadasi is a harbor region which is selected as one of the tourist cities in Turkey to attract the attention of a lot of travelers to Turkey in various ways.
The following places are suggested to be visited in your trip to Kusadasi as one of the tourist cities in Turkey:
• Harbor Area: there are a lot of places in this area such as the Kervansaray, southern gate and bazaar.
• Pigeon Island: if you want to walk in a seaside in the evening and have something in a café, you can go to this island which was a Byzantine fortress in the 13th century.
• Priene: this place has the ruins of an ancient port, the Temple of Athena and a theater with a capacity of 6500 people.
• Miletus: it is a harbor city with a 15000 seat theater, Baths of Faustina, Seljuk Caravanserai and a museum. There are also the ruins of the Byzantine fortress walls and the Temple of Apollo.
• Dilek Peninsula: it is a national park with some tourist attractions such as nice beaches, forest trailing paths and the Zeus Magarasi (Cave of Zeus).
Fethiye is one of the tourist cities in Turkey which has a lot of natural and historical sites for people who travel there.
You can visit a lot of places in this city as one of the tourist cities in Turkey:
• Telmessos: it is a city with various buildings in Lycian Era. Tomb of Amyntas which is made of rocks is an important place to visit.
• Oludeniz Lagoon: this place is a beach famous for its sands next to the turquoise water with pine forests around it. Paragliding can be an adventurous experience in this place.
• Kayakoy: it was the habitat of Greeks and Turks who live next to each other in the past in this stone village.
Eye-catching interior design of two churches of Katapongagia and Taxiarchis attract a lot of tourists to this beautiful natural place in the hillside.
• Pinara: it is an old city which has the ruins of rock tombs and a theater with the great view of mountains and forests.
• Butterfly Valley: as this valley is situated between two cliffs, it is hard to reach it by car, so you should take a boat or go hiking.
You can spend your day swimming, sunbathing and relaxing in the beach.
Alanya; One of the Tourist Cities in Turkey
Alanya as a beach resort city is known as one of the tourism cities in Turkey.
It is located near the Mediterranean Sea and below the Taurus Mountains to be a great place for living and traveling.
Remember visiting these places in Alanya as one of the tourist cities in Turkey:
• Alanya Castle: it was a fortress in Seljuk Era which has some other places inside at the moment such as the Suleymaniye caravanserai and mosque.
• Kizil Kule (Red Tower): this brick tower has a height of 33 meters and is located below the castle.
• Alara Castle and Caravanserai: they are changed to a museum and heritage center now.
• Ataturk’s House and Museum: this place illustrates the architecture of Ottoman with light colors and red roofs.
Turkey is a well-known country in tourism industry because it attracts the attention of a large number of tourists to visit different tourism cities in Turkey.
Great facilities which are provided in each city, fruitful culture, long history, warm-blooded people, various natural resorts and historical sites are some of the reasons which intrigue people to travel to tourism cities in Turkey and enjoy a fabulous experience.
Top ten tourist cities in Turkey are introduced which can be a great guide for those who want to have a memorable experience.